Friday 23 November 2012

I haven't shouted at the telly this much since the Olympics

Last night Ruth and I watched The Holiday with Cameron Diaz and Jude Law in.  And right there you've got the two main problems with the film.  Those two were in it.

The film would have been okay if it was just a romantic comedy starring Jack Black and Kate Winslet. Their relationship and the relationship between them and their elderly neighbour played by Eli Wallach was pretty interesting, and could have carried a film on its own.

But every time I started to get into Kate and Jack, the scene kept changing back to Cameron and Jude and it was like I was watching a TV where the channel kept changing involuntarily every 5 minutes onto a show I didn't want to watch.

The chemistry between Law and Diaz was non-existent.  I've seen trees in the forest that were less wooden.  To be fair to them they weren't helped by dialogue so clunky it could have been written by George Lucas, but at least Black and Winslet managed to work with the garbage that had been written for them.  I think Cameron Diaz must think she's the female Jim Carrey, because a lot of her acting seems to be just pulling funny faces, and Jude Law, well, if it was my house he turned up at uninvited, he wouldn't be getting in.  I'd be chasing him down the path with a shovel, and if that didn't deter him, I'd set the dogs on him.

And he's not the only one that should have got a good chasing.  Winslet's creepy boss played by Rufus Sewell was another reason why the two of us were regularly shouting abuse at the screen.  It's a good job we weren't watching the film in 3D or I might have got up and starting trying to chin some of the cast for being in my living room.

But thank goodness for good old Kate and Jack, who at least made the experience bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment