Tuesday 27 December 2011

How am I going to get another job, when I've already got a bar of chocolate?

 I'm getting fired on Saturday, so I'm going to be starting the New Year without a job.   That would worry me except for the fact that I've got plenty of stuff in the fridge.

I've managed to reach the age of 43 and I still don't have a clue about what to do for a living.  But part of the problem is I lack the motivation to go after things.  All the things I want are either free or cheap, so I don't invest much time and effort into getting them. 

I am aware that there are people who have proper careers, who have put years of effort into attaining qualifications etc, to enable them to do a skilled job.  I'm afraid I lack the motivation to do this.  Apparently there's a thing called Deferrment of Gratification.  I don't have it.   

Mostly my goals in life are pretty modest, like getting some sort of pie or a bar of chocolate.  There were times when I was a child when I didn't have money for these things, but since I've been an adult I have pretty much had constant access.  I haven't really wanted stuff like motorboats and round the world cruises, so I haven't needed to plan years ahead and build up funds for this.

When I was growing up, we didn't have a car, and we lived in a council house.  I barely owned anything, and the things I did own were very low tech.  Things like clothes, a football, a few toy soldiers and a bike. 

These days I live in a nice house with nice things, I've got a car, two or three bikes, plenty of books and dvds and nice plates and cups and a coffee maker and I don't aspire to have any more than this.  I already think my carbon footprint is huge.  Just taking out the recycling lets me know how much I'm consuming every week. 

The trouble is, I only have a temporary job at the moment and I will be out of work on Saturday, and I've made no strides towards getting another job.  And this is mostly because my modest needs are being satisfied.  I just bought a Yorkie for later so that's today  sorted, and I've got enough left in my wallet to buy two tubs of ice cream tomorrow, so that'll take me through to the middle of the week.

I haven't really planned any further ahead than that.  And that's what's worrying me....

No comments:

Post a Comment